[Yr11 Information Technology] Awards comment and a tidbit side issue in QLD.

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Sun Oct 25 14:21:23 EST 2009

I have issues with awards like this...
Teaching in low profile schools with minimum technology(often) and trying my hardest to provide a curriculum and content to cater for the needs and levels of skill in my classes doesnt seem to get me recognized EXCEPT if I supposedly do something someone else doesnt like!
I will go happily on record as having taught for over a dozen years and as yet have never been nominated for just trying to do the best for my students!!

Yes, sure I am not the brightest spark on the pile but heck..I do my best always AND provide assistance to newbies where I can! Also, as I generally keep to myself in the workplace and focus on what I am employed to do..teach...not socialize..that is not likely to get me nominated either.(but I am a team player, so dont misunderstand this comment)

What can I say...

Oh, BTW..did ya hear about the new QLD rules on social networking sites and YOUTUBE, in terms of staff and student usage and 'friends'.  For my part..I TOTALLY AGREE with the decision by education QLD.
Seems some staff/students have, shall we say allegedly, perhaps misused the sites and this has resulted in the decision. It was only a matter of time before this type of decision.
Responsible and ACCOUNTABLE use of sites like these (MySpace, Facebook, YouTube etc) is mandatory, not just expected as teachers. Staff making "current students" as friends on their sites has caused their problem.  Sound like anyone you can relate too..??
And before you ask..NO I dont use these sites and have no intention of doing so..they're a can of worms waiting to be opened I reckon.

Kent.
(If this post offends..please dont take it personally, I am just offering comment, not criticism.  I support the concept of offering awards for excellence. My issue is often its who you know...not what you do!) Pity there is not an award on offer for those who just regularly upgrade by training or just try something for the minority...and I dont mean just because the VIT tells us too!

Kent Beveridge, St. Brigids CSC, Horsham. Ph (03) 5382 3545 http://www.stbc.vic.edu.au/ email: kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au "This email and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies. The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."