[Yr11 Information Technology] U1OU2

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 3 15:57:30 EST 2009

How 'deep' to go into with flowcharts? Good question...
Can I offer you this suggestion then...

Ensure that your students understand the concept of the traffic light program for a starter..(If-then..concepts).
Try them on with a flowchart for that..then...
Examine a 'case' example and then, again,....
Try a flowchart for that..

Tips..
Ensure they understand HOW to APPLY the different shapes to different concepts and then it will be of little issue how involved the problems are.
Begin..
Set up the variables..
Create the problem scenario with some twists and turns.
close off the scenario,
End.

Perhaps give a few smaller examples for their confidence(subroutines are exactly this)
Put the pieces together into a bigger puzzle (a program is just a bunch of subroutines working together-in real terms)

TADA..an understanding of how to APPLY  the concepts..could now be at hand.!!

Hope that helped..Its how I do it.

The tricky bits I find are the data flows with DFD's more often than not.  Flowcharts tend to be 'yes' or 'no' flows from one part to the next.

Cheers,
Kent.

Kent Beveridge,
I.C.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
 http://www.stbc.vic.edu.au/ <http://www.stbc.vic.edu.au/>
Horsham Ph (03) 5382 3545
kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."