[Yr11 Information Technology] VB6

Jim Bunn bunn.jim.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Sep 9 15:13:49 EST 2008

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about the new Vista machines and
trying to use VB6. I don't think anyone presented this solution, and if so I
apologise, but I actually discovered one good thing about the new Vista
operating system. There is a way of using VB6 and other outdated programs
with these machines. The following assumes you have VB6 already installed.

In 'Control Panel', click on the 'Programs' link, and under the 'Programs
and Features' heading click on the 'Use an older program with this version
of Windows' link. This brings up the 'Program Compatibility Wizard' window.
Click 'next', and then 'next' again with the 'I want to choose from a list
of programs' checked. All your programs will be listed. Select VB6 and click
on 'next'. Choose the previous operating system of your choice and click on
'next'. Leave all the display settings unchecked and press 'next'; do the
same with the next screen. Finally you'll come to a 'test your compatibility
settings' window. Click next to test it. It should work.

I realise this is too late for this year but if you prefer to use VB6 like I
do then here is a good solution for next year.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Bunn

Technology Coordinator