[Yr11 Information Technology] VITTA Professional Learning Networks

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Dec 18 15:05:52 EST 2008

Hi everyone (and apologies for the cross posts),

It is my please to announce a key new initiative for VITTA in 2009.  In
order to better support our rural members (and interstate ones), VITTA is
setting up a number of Professional Learning Networks.  These networks will
receive a small amount of funding to operate - but more importantly, will
inform us of the needs of the region, will coordinate and run PD, will
assist in the creation of resources and will have a big say in what VITTA
offers its members in 2009 and beyond.  I have attached (below) an open
invitation from our new VITTA Project Officer - Mark Richardson, who we have
employed to coordinate this initiative.

Dear Colleague,

Let me introduce myself for those of you I haven't met, I'm Mark Richardson
and I'm currently working at the VITTA Professional Learning Office two days
per week [the other three days per week I'm in a school].  So why am I
writing to you? Well, VITTA is going to set up a number of Professional
Learning Networks [PLNs] in 2009 to support teachers teaching ICT who cannot
readily access the professional learning activities that VITTA run in
Melbourne.

VITTA is targeting key people [that's you!] in 10 regions in Victoria, two
regions in Tasmania and Fiji to assist with the setting up of PLNs. Ideally,
VITTA would like two people to run each network. If you agree to be involved
you would initially arrange the first meeting of a PLN and invite teachers
and educators in their area to that meeting.  I appreciate that you all have
ICT leadership roles in your regions and you could be unwilling to take on
extra work, however, we would really like your support to at least get the
first meeting happening. If you have time for an ongoing commitment to a PLN
though, that would be fantastic.

VITTA will be also circulating information about the PLNs through Edulists
and its publications asking for those who are interested in either joining
the PLNs to contact the interim leaders or being an interim leader of any
PLNs without leaders attached.

The first PLN meeting for each region [Term 1, 2009] would be to assess
interest levels, define leadership [who may be the interim leader[s] or
someone else from the group], decide on frequency of meetings, location of
meetings and possible topics and speakers.

The VITTA Professional Learning Office will support the PLNs in their set up
and ongoing operations. This support will be assistance with network
planning and possibly funds for each PLN to cover outside speakers. While
each PLN will have autonomy in direction and organisation, they will have to
report on their activities for VITTA once per term. Professional Learning
Networks will be able to access the professional learning resources of the
VITTA Office.

Still interested? There is further information in the two attachments.

Can you please contact me as to whether you are interested in being an
interim PLN leader as soon as possible?
For further information please contact me at the VITTA Professional Learning
Office and have a chat.  I can be contacted by email mark at vitta.org.au or at
the VITTA Office 9495 6836 or on my mobile 0404 460 845

Kind Regards
Mark

Mark Richardson
Professional Learning Office
Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association [VITTA]
Suite 209 134-136 Cambridge Street
PO Box 1099
Collingwood, Victoria, 3066.

Lastly, I just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a restful
break!  All the best!

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian Janson,

VITTA President

Director of ICT,

Melbourne High School,

Forrest Hill, South Yarra 3141 Australia.

Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711

Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767

E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au

School WWW: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au <http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au/>

My WWW: http://www.adrianjanson.com.au <http://www.adrianjanson.com.au/>

Blog: http://jansona.edublogs.org <http://jansona.edublogs.org/>