[Yr11 Information Technology] OT: servers for VPN

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 10:57:45 EST 2007

My philosophy is that with servers, you only go for tier 1 - IBM, HP
etc.  No lower tiers like Acer, Dell (apologies to them).

Definitely no corner shop or Green Guide specials.

Your mileage or opinion may vary :-)

Andrew Grimshaw wrote:
> HI every1
>
> pls excuse cross posts
>
> next year we are implementing a multicampus VPN and are looking to buy
> some servers to run it
>
> there are 2 competing schools of thought (pun intended):
>
> group A want to purchase from a local supplier they have been with for a
> long time who make custom machines. excellent service history, only the
> best quality parts
>
> group B  have been dealing with one of the large suppliers and wish to
> continue with them - again they have been using this company for years
> and are very happy with both product and service
>
> price-wise and spec-wise the servers are almost indentical
>
> personally, i would be happy to go with either - as a teacher i just
> want a system that works and i want it up and running for the start of 2008!
>
> anyway, to assist in reaching a consensus between the 2 groups, i was
> hoping to get some feedback from others who've already set up a similar
> network - to find out what hardware they've used - reliability and
> service are the principal criteria
>
> thx
> andrew grimshaw
> colac college

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.