[Yr11 Information Technology] National Computer Science School, Sydney, January 5-13 2008

Steven Bird sb at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 09:03:50 EST 2007

[Sent on behalf of Dr James Curran <james at it.usyd.edu.au>, University
of Sydney.]

       NCSS 2008: Saturday 5th to Sunday 13th January, 2008 (inclusive)
             NCSS APPLICATIONS DUE: Friday 30th November, 2007.

We are now inviting applications for the National Computer Science
School (NCSS) from students and teachers.  An NCSS poster and application form
has been mailed to every secondary school in Australia addressed to the
"Head Computing Teacher", so please keep an eye out for them.  Please
email ncss at it.usyd.edu.au if your school does not receive them.
They are also available from http://www.ncss.edu.au/

Please distribute the application form to your top Year 11 computer
studies, science, mathematics and visual arts students, and strongly
encourage them to apply.

Unfortunately, the application deadline is not far away so please
encourage your top students to apply as soon as possible.  The good news is
that while it has taken a while, we have secured enough sponsorship to extend
NCSS from 7 to 9 days, so we can increase the range and depth of the activities.

What is NCSS?
-------------

NCSS is a week-long residential summer school for senior secondary
students who have an interest and aptitude for computing.  NCSS brings together
talented young people from around Australia for an intensive week of
computer programming, website development, and related activities in the
School of Information Technologies at the University of Sydney.  NCSS
2008 is the
thirteenth year of the program.

Many students in the past have come away with skills, ideas and
inspiration for their major computing and visual arts projects in Year 12.

There is no assumed knowledge for the program and the program is very
open ended.  Although it starts from the basics of programming, we will still
extend the most gifted and knowledgeable students.

At NCSS 2008 you will:
   * learn to program in the Python object-oriented scripting language
   * learn how search engines work
   * learn about dynamically generated web content
   * go on site visits to companies like Microsoft and Google
   * find out what university is like
   * meet others interested in computing

NCSS is a very supportive learning environment.  Typically there is a
tutor for every four students, so noone stays stuck for long!

Who should apply?
-----------------

NCSS is designed for students in who will be in Year 12 for 2008.
We also accept a small number of Year 11 students (depending on demand)
who are particularly talented or enthusiastic.  We are strongly
committed to attracting under-represented and disadvantaged applicants.

For teachers
------------

There are also a small number of places available for teachers to join
the program.  They are involved in the same teams as the students,
learning Python programming and website development. This is an ideal
inservice opportunity that many teachers have taken up previously and
thoroughly enjoyed.

Sponsors
--------

The NCSS major sponsors are Macquarie Bank and the Macquarie Bank
Foundation and NICTA.  The Apple University Consortium, Atlassian, Google,
Microsoft and Oracle have also contributed significantly.

How much does NCSS cost?
------------------------

After the generous contribution of our sponsors, NCSS 2008 will cost
$330 (including GST) per student or teacher.  This covers full board for the
week and the cost of the program itself.

Summary
-------

Applications Due: Friday 30th November, 2007 (very soon!)

When: Saturday 5th -- Sunday 13th January, 2008
Where: School of Information Technologies, The University of Sydney
Cost: $330 (including GST)
WWW: http://www.ncss.edu.au/
email: ncss at it.usyd.edu.au

Please let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss whether
NCSS would be appropriate for yourself or your students.

thanks,
James

---
Dr. James Curran                           E: james at it.usyd.edu.au
University of Sydney Fellow                W: http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~james
Director, National Computer Science School W: http://www.ncss.edu.au/
School of Information Technologies,        P: +61 (0)2 9036 6037
J12, University of Sydney,                 M: +61 (0)431 013 320
NSW 2006, Australian                       F: +61 (0)2 9351 3838