[Yr11 Information Technology] Future Focus - Biometrics (SBS)

Greyruin greyruin at gdurkin.com
Tue May 15 02:21:31 EST 2007

Hang on, hang on - - -
Isn't there a statute in there about showing the video for educational
purposes? I checked with the cinema copyright folk in Canberra, because
my school was illegally showing videos for "activities" at the end of
the year, and I wanted to know how much it would cost us to do it
legally. They gave me a really good price on bulk permission rates for
non-educational viewing in a school, then gave me an even better price
(Roughly $250 for ten titles over three days). He told me that we could
show commercial videos as often as we liked *in the classroom* provided
only the students and teacher were in attendance and that the film was
definitely part of a bona fide lesson plan. He also suggested, with
tongue in cheek, I'm sure, that we hand out a questionnaire at the end
of each end-of-year activity session, call it "educational" and avoid
the fee altogether!

I imagine that videos or DVD content recorded from live TV would have
the same exemption attached to them. You would still be in the domain of
"fair dealing" if you watched the program on your own, at home, in order
to prepare your lesson. No need to destroy the recording, the media or
yourself. I'm sure that the "watch it once and destroy it" provision
applies only to a program watched by "time displacement" for
entertainment purposes.

Happy dreams - (and, no, my clock is NOT set wrong)
Good night

Greg Durkin