[Yr11 Information Technology] OSV - Open Source catalog

Peter Ruwoldt (Wrk) pruwoldt at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 30 06:02:55 EST 2005

Con Zymaris wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:56:28PM +1100, Roland GESTHUIZEN wrote:
>

>>Reliable and intuitive, looks good. :-)
>>

>Speaking of reliable and intuitive... ;-)
>
>OSV is about to launch the following:
>
>Open Source Victoria has prepared the following report for the primary and
>secondary education sector. Within it, we have researched and provided a
>synopsis on a range of software which we believe will be beneficial to
>educators and students. We have also included a large list of other
>open source applications.
>
>Specifically, our objectives are:
>
>a) to increase the awareness of open source software amongst all Victorian
>   schools,
>
>b) to provide an easy mechanism for educators to review and select
>   software,
>
>c) to increase the understanding of the merits of open source Software
>   amongst students of Information Technology courses in schools,
>
>d) to help the education sector save money on software licences, which
>   could be re-deployed on hardware or staff professional development.
>

>This (draft) catalog (12+ MB PDF) is available for download now, from:
>
> http://www.cc.com.au/osv/education_FOSS_catalog.pdf
>
>or
>
> http://www.cybersource.com.au/about/education_FOSS_catalog.pdf
>
>Your feedback is welcome.

This catalog looks like something that will help me/us.  Well done on this project.
I did not see a dedicated Desktop Publishing program there. DTP could be good for the office skills type courses.
I know that modern word processors have many of the features of DTP but ....

Any information about final publishing dates and availablility of the glossy?
Peter

--
If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee -- that will do them in.

Peter Ruwoldt
ICT Coordinator
Grant High School
Hosking Avenue
MOUNT GAMBIER  SA  5290

P. 08 87263107 (Do not leave voice mail)
F. 08 87250173

ruwoldtp at granths.sa.edu.au
http://waraku.blogspot.com/