[vet-it] RTO advice/opinions

Peter Nash nash.peter.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 23 00:34:32 EST 2018

Hi Paul

There are many RTOs around that provide workbooks and support
Some external RTOs used by schools are iVET and AIET. But there may be
others

In respect to scored assessment tasks - it is recommended you use the VCAA
as a resource to create your own, those who have done this have learnt from
the experience. There is a workshop in Melbourne discussing assessment tasks
and all things VET IDMT. My suggestion you attend and network with some
other teachers. Some RTOs have things called SACs but they should only be
used in providing knowledge to students to prep for the exam.

I use the training package to map the unit's assessment requirements and the
unit elements / performance requirements even against the activities the
RTOs provide and supplement extra activities if I feel this is required to
meet these requirements.

You should show mapping for all units grouped for each task in the unit plan
and this should be assist you in ensuring all the elements are covered in
the task. This will be discussed at the up coming workshop and is where a
lot of trainers over the years have had difficulty with.

VCAA provides many resources to assist in preparing your assessment tasks so
have a look at the web site.

Hope this gives you some leads as you prepare for the year
Once again if you can attend the upcoming VCAA workshop as this might be
invaluable for you

Regards

Peter Nash

VET Co-ordinator and VCAA VET IDMT State Reviewer
Mob: 0419 398 721