[vet-it] VET IT Exam Study

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 09:28:31 EST 2005

Hi Debra,

 Great advice here from Andrew.
I would add a few more points.

 1.  VITTA has been running both student and teacher exam preparation lectures/workshops for a number of years at Melbourne Uni usually early in September. I am sure they would make these notes available either commercially or as good will, but I can't speak for VITTA so you would need to contact them.

 2. There are lots of exam revision notes and samples provided at these lectures, the VITTA web site www.vitta.org.au  and also at www.edulists.com.au

 3. The examiners' reports at the VCAA site are also useful especially when you want to see what percentage of students answered particular choices in part A and what the averages were for each question.

  4. If your school had a class last year , you can get detailed data about your school's performance against the state average for each question. You can get this data from your VASS coordinator.

  5. There are commercially written sample exams for VET IT that you can purchase from various suppliers such as www.edassist.com.au . Tel: (03) 9416 0200
Fax: (03) 9416 0402. I have to declare that I have written some of these so there is no appearance of vested interest or hidden motives.

  6. One technique I have found helpful is locking the students in a room for the 2 hours before the exam starts ( other exams permitting ) and just brainstormed or brainwashed with dozens and dozens of questions to saturate them with all the knowledge they can cram just before walking in . All have responded positively to this stating it has boosted confidence and readiness to tackle the exam.

  Otherwise if you need particular help with specific areas of past questions, let me and the list know and we will do the best we can for you.

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> piper.andrew.j at optusnet.com.au 09/14/05 08:56pm >>>

Hi all..

I am unaware of any VET IT exam lectures.  I have been teaching VET IT for 5
years now, ever since it became scored assessed, and have found the best way
to help your students for their exam is by the following:

*	Look at past exams from the VCAA website - at least the 3 or years
(and there should also be a practice exam for the first year of scored
assessment)
*	Cut up the questions into their appropriate modules and stick them
together in a booklet for the students i.e. Software Apps (Migrate to new
tech, provide help,  macros, and so on)
*	By doing this you can see what particular areas the examiners focus
on the most and type of questions they ask
*	It is essential that you provide them with theory from the following
text - 'Essentials of Information Technology'
*	This text breaks down all the modules and this is where the theory
comes from for the exam
*	I have seen over the past few years that some exam questions have
been word-for-word from the textbook
*	It is also expected that the students have knowledge about OH&S
(Unit 1 and 2 module) as this appeared on last years exam to the surprise of
many teachers
*	It is also expected that students are aware of how a general
computer operates with knowledge of all computer components (RAM, HDD, VGA
Card, USB etc.) This is information is from Connect Internal Hardware
Components in Units 1 and 2
*	I have also found that during the next couple of weeks leading up to
exams, the students will learn a heap of theory that they may not have
known, due to time constraints throughout the year with getting the theory
completed.

I have had students in the past couple of years who have not looked at any
theory until the beginning of term 4 and have received 'A's'.  It is
possible to cram!!!

Anyway, hope this helps anyone that may need it.   Just remember that the
exam is only worth 25%, which is a fairly good weighting for this subject.

Good Luck all with your exam preparation.

Andrew J Piper

Learning Technologies Coordinator

Tyrrell College

PO Box 231