[vet-it] VET Exam final analysis

claire claire at warrandytehigh.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 9 11:45:44 EST 2005

Hi Lesley,
We had the same problem last year in VET MM. Most teachers were outraged by the exam, and teachers experienced kids leaving the exam in tears and parents threatening to sue because content wasn't covered.
I think the biggest problem is trying to base a state-wide exam on a Training Package. The training package is not written as curriculum and is meant to be very flexible, so trainers can meet the needs of their students. This is fine and as it should be, but when someone tries to write an exam to cover everyone, it becomes problematic.
The MM teachers Association took a lot of action this time last year - letters to VCAA etc, and they did listen. There was consultation with industry and teacher reps and eventually quite specific advice from VCAA as to what the exam will cover. Teachers felt much more confident, and happily most people seemed satisfied with the exam this time.
I think teachers/schools/Prins need to make feelings known in writing to VCAA. It does help.
Claire Bloom
Warrandyte High