[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] FW: [esnet] Year 9 engineering and 9 electro

David Fletcher dgfletch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 29 23:23:56 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: bounce-2360118-808963 at edna.edu.au
[mailto:bounce-2360118-808963 at edna.edu.au] On Behalf Of Stephen Hick
Sent: Wednesday, 29 August 2012 11:16 PM
To: Engineering Studies and Industrial Arts Discussion NSW
Subject: RE: [esnet] Year 9 engineering and 9 electro

State IIATE 19th/20th October in Sydney and National DATTA INTAD TERC 5th to
8th December at Gold Coast

.
Just to add to Jeff,
        I have done similar projects with my Tech Mand - Control Systems Yr
8 students - Rube Goldberg Machine - Aim: to pop a party popper in the most
complex way possible. They have come up with levers, cranks, pulley systems,
ball rolls, loop the loops, dominoes etc. Great lateral thinking exercise
and working with simple machines. Found an online game called "Dynamic
Systems" where they go through 40 levels of similar machine problem solving.
Kids found a sequel and how to create their own machines. We also have done
a rubber band powered dragster. http://www.docfizzix.com/ is a good
resource.

I am currently working on a 1/32 scale 12V drag strip for stage 5 Engo next
year. Prototype is made from 2400 x 1200 melamine cut into 200mm strips,
installed reed switches at either end, cut slots for guides, put copper
strip either side and basically made a very long slot car track. (Knock-down
fittings and dowels to hold each section of track together.) When finished
it will have the led Christmas tree starting lights, timer with reaction and
1/4 mile time displayed. There is even a disqualification light if they jump
the start.
Timing system was from http://www.slotcardragon.com/ self-adhesive copper
strip was from E-Bay @$12
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150854626160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p39
84.m1439.l2649 , $40 for the melamine. I am using a 6V motor and wheels but
running 12VDC (from Marty Harris). I figure it is only running for a short
time anyway and should survive. Body will be vacuum formed when I get around
to making a vacuum former and sourcing some plastic. Plenty of problem
solving ahead.

Steve Hick
JSCHS
Orange