[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] OH&S Course forTeachers?

Tran, Lorraine I tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 4 09:27:21 EST 2008

Hi Mark, Neville and other Systems teachers

David Fletcher (from DATTA Vic) just sent information about the OHS
course via this mailing list.

The email contains responses to a series of questions from Paul
O'Halloran who is the Project Manager, Employee Health at the Department
of Education and Early Childhood Development.

David's questions and Paul's answers are as follows:

We are getting lots of queries at the DATTA.Vic Office (like the one
below) about the proposed OH&S Machinery Safety  in Schools courses.  We
have been told that these wIll be funded by the "regional offices".

Can you please advise:

(1) How these courses are being advertised ?

Regions are informing schools directly about local arrangements for the
courses. Regions have been forwarded funding for the short courses

(2) How teachers can apply to attend a course ?

My understanding is the courses are open to technology teachers from all
sectors although there is a priority to cover Government school teacher
programs because these are part of a mandatory machinery competence
testing program. Technology teachers should ring their local TAFE for
short course details.

(3) When these courses are being run -- week-ends / vacations / after
school / school days ?

Don't know - check the local TAFE

(4) Which TAFE's or RTO's are ready to run these courses ?

My understanding is all Victorian TAFEs have agreed to participate.

(5) Will these be advertised on the VIT  PD site ?

Not to my knowledge although this is a good idea.

(6) How we can go about getting a course running to enable  Technology
teachers in Independant and Catholic Schools to be qualified ?

We are happy to talk with Catholic and Independent School
representatives about the process we undertook . The suggestion is to
think about the overall policy issues first and then position the course
and the competency test within the policy framework. Our Technology
Panel Report was a good start.

DATTA Vic and I (and others) have been provided with information about
the course titled Safe Use of Machinery in Technology. Following is some
information you may find useful.

The Framework

The framework for the course has been accredited by the VQA.
Documentation can be found at:
http://trainingsupport.otte.vic.gov.au/curriculum.cfm?menu=3 and then
searching by course code 21820VIC

The short course is composed of 3 modules:

Module 1 - VBQU618 Apply OHS principles to technology teaching - 8 hours

Module 2 - VBQU619 Safely operate and maintain wood working machines -
16 hours

Module 3 - VBQU620 Safely operate and maintain metal working machines -
8 hours.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Lorraine.

Lorraine Tran

Curriculum Manager, P - 12 Design and Technology

Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)

41 St Andrews Place

East Melbourne 3002

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au

Email: tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au

Telephone: (03) 9651 4407

Mobile:       041 933 1630

The VCAA provides curriculum and assessment for prep to Year 12. The
VCAA is a statutory body directly responsible to the Minister for
Education and Training and serves government and non-government schools.

P please consider the environment before printing this email.