[Year 12 SofDev] Security considerations influencing the design of solutions

MCGRATH, Bernie Bernie.MCGRATH at kew.vic.edu.au
Sat Feb 26 01:26:53 UTC 2022

Hi Sven,

Great question. Andrew has summed up the common expectations of students well. I would suggest that security needs to be a consideration at every stage of the PSM/SDLC.

For instance, if we identify a requirement in the Analysis stage that a given application requires secure authentication that integrates with our client’s authentication schema. Then at the Design stage I would suggest that we should be design the software solution such that the implementation is prescriptive. We might determine that our client uses multi-factor authentication backed by active directory and design a solution that authenticates via an OATH token or other method that active directory supports. If we left this decision for the implementation stage we might go and design a login screen where it may not be necessary because we are able to do single sign-on or we may not have identified the relevant dependencies for interaction with AD.

For many students their client will stipulate that authentication is not required/desired and I think this is okay in some instances as long it is consider and documented at the analysis stage. In this instance I still usually get students to think about the device(s) their client will use and how authentication on the device provides protection for their application data.

For data protection I ask students to think about permissions for their files and databases as well as their backup strategy. If they document something related to their intended file formats or backup strategy during U3O2 it makes U4O1 so much easier for them. At the simplest level knowing what files they need enables them to write relevant pseudocode.

Kind Regards,

Bernie