[Year 12 SofDev] Creating a Class SharePoint

Robert Hallworth hallworth.r at wcc.vic.edu.au
Sun Dec 27 07:38:15 UTC 2020

Hi All

I thought this may be of value to some of you.

History

Students completing the Applied Computing or Software Development courses create projects that involve a lot of files. The process of uploading these files even as a zip file for assessment to our LMS and for the teacher to then download to an appropriate folder was a tedious process. The original solution that I have used for a number of years was to have a virtual server on the network and setup share folders for each of the students to use and setup a batch file using robocopy to have students upload their latest work and a similar robocopy for the teacher to use to download the work. Then came COVID-19 and the virtual server was not available at home and giving students VPN access did not work. A solution had to be found and this was a perfect opportunity to experiment with SharePoint. The SharePoint solution is in fact simpler and more convenient.  My students code in PHP and use the XAMPP server setup. It is possible to configure XAMP to use the SharePoint folders for Apache and MySQL and therefore have student work continually saved to SharePoint and always be visible to the teacher. No more batch files required so a very simple solution to use. The setup is involved but worth the effort as it makes the overall process of checking and assessing student work simple.

If Microsoft sees this please make a Class SharePoint option available that works in a similar way to the Class OneNote or if there is a PowerShell guru among us that could automate this process. The backend process would in fact be very similar to how Class OneNotes are setup.

Kind regards

Robert Hallworth
Learning Technology Co-ordinator

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6DC7E.B8409AC0]