[Year 12 SofDev] [Informatics] Testing (fonts)

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue May 9 14:00:02 AEST 2017

There are a few sensible password generators that disallow the use of
ambiguous characters like I (lowercase L),l (capital i) ,1 (digit),0
(digit),O (capital o) for that very reason.

I wish CAPTCHA codes would use some sense to avoid using ambiguous
characters like those.

[OT] It would be a good programming exercise for SD kids to write code to
generate random, unambiguous password strings of a given length.

Mark

On 9 May 2017 at 13:20, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> At one point in the past I was involved in creating usernames for students
> for a temporary system. We used the first 3 letters of given name followed
> by some digits. Hence Mark might have username Mar123
>
> We had one student with first name, "ilona"
> ( I had to write that in lower case to avoid the problem I am about to
> describe)
> The digits added turned out to be 110
>
> So her username for her was Ilo110
>
> Depending on typeface (and your mail client may use an offending typeface)
> this may appear identical to 110110, LLOLLO or various other permutations
> of 1, L, o and 0
>
> Unfortunately the typeface chosen for the handouts to be given to students
> rendered lowercase L and numeral 1 identically, and upper case letter o and
> numeral zero identically.
>
> It did take some time for the student to figure out the username assigned
> to her. I think she had a good sense of humour about it, but it does
> illustrate the typeface problem.
>
> Ironically we had taken care to make the passwords unambiguous.
>
> Kp
>

> On Mon, 8 May 2017 at 10:37 pm, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's an example of choosing designing test data, and how good test data
>> deliberately aims to find the weaknesses and faults of a solution.
>>
>> In this case, *fonts* are being tested by thinking up the most awkward
>> words possible to see if they render properly in that font.
>>
>> https://www.wired.com/2017/05/weird-words-phrases-designers-
>> use-test-fonts/
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark Kelly
>>
>> mark at vceit.com
>> http://vceit.com
>>
>> Powered by *sans serif.*
>>

>> --
> --
> Dr Ken Price MACS(Snr) CP ACCE Professional Associate.
> Immediate Past President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au

Mark Kelly

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com