[Year 12 SofDev] A Friday Pondering

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed May 18 12:37:47 AEST 2016

It indeed may already be here. Soon, asking kids to code a bubble sort will
seem as ridiculously pointless as getting them to convert binary to
hexadecimal...

>From - http://www.wired.com/2016/05/the-end-of-code/

Soon We Won’t Program Computers. We’ll Train Them Like Dogs

"whether you realize it or not, machine learning powers large swaths of our
online activity. Facebook uses it to determine which stories show up in
your News Feed, and Google Photos uses it to identify faces. Machine
learning runs Microsoft’s Skype Translator, which converts speech to
different languages in real time. Self-driving cars use machine learning to
avoid accidents. Even Google’s search engine—for so many years a towering
edifice of human-written rules—has begun to rely on these deep neural
networks. In February the company replaced its longtime head of search with
machine-learning expert John Giannandrea, and it has initiated a major
program to retrain its engineers in these new techniques. “By building
learning systems,” Giannandrea told reporters this fall, “we don’t have to
write these rules anymore.”

Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com