[Year 12 SofDev] Ensuring students meet the criteria

Philip Feain feainp at stkevins.vic.edu.au
Thu Jul 28 10:02:15 AEST 2016

Dear All

Last term I was concerned about the lack of attention to detail that
students gave to meeting the criteria for the SAT. It just seemed that
students got into a train of practice with their work and did not evaluate
against the criteria before submission.

Yesterday I did the formal observation for Criteria 5 and 6 and most
students were on the way to being able to submit their solution next
Wednesday.

So I thought I would get them to evaluate where they were at today. I got
them to produce hard copies of Criteria 5 and 6 and then tick off where
they thought they were achieving each descriptor for each level across the
seven sets of descriptors. I also told them to be harsh in their judgement.

When I went around the room to look at what they had ticked it was great to
have that quick conversation about what they needed to be focusing on. Some
students were a little bit stunned at what they were seeing.

This didn't take long for the students to complete and they went back to
working on their task while I walked around the room chatting to students.

I have asked students to keep this in front of them when working on their
solution and to update as they progress. Hopefully this will ensure better
attention to detail.

On another note, it was interesting to see that many students are doing
little on internal documentation and validation now while concentrating on
the more complex tasks. These are two areas students can do very well in
regardless of all the other complexities. It does worry me that these will
be the areas that get rushed or neglected towards meeting the deadline for
submission. It might be worthwhile seeing how your students are going here.

Regards

Phil.

--
Phil Feain

*Head of eLearning*
*Head of Information Technology*
*St. Kevin's College*

--
This email message does not represent the view of St Kevins College, is
intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be