[Year 12 SofDev] Records VS Classes

Chris Bucknell Chris.Bucknell at haileybury.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 26 15:15:42 AEDT 2016

Hi All,

I do love the discussions that vocabulary brings about.  A record in computing has a variety of definitions:

·        A collection of data items in a file or data set,

·        A user defined type, being a concatenation of one or more members of various data types,

·        A group of fields within a table in a database that are relevant to a specific entity,

·        A unit of data that is transmitted from a sender to a receiver,

·        (I’m sure there are other esoteric examples)

These definitions are used in different contexts and for different technologies, so that’s why IMHO I believe we need to consider the context that “record” was identified in (i.e types of data structures) and in that case we would be considering a user defined type (a single variable that records several related pieces of information).

Now the next important issue is how we implement it this in the multitude of programming languages that are available to us.  Do we use a structure/struct, a class, or … (please insert your favour technology implementation here)?  Do we need to consider stack and heap issues or the memory consumptions of the implementation of the data type?  Once again IMHO we might be reading far too much into a single word (given the context it is used in).  As highlighted previously, some programming languages do not directly support this concept, but importantly the “record” dot point is in the “key knowledge” so therefore do you need to directly implement it in code?

Just my 5 cents worth (I upped the thinking time on this one ☺)

Regards

Chris Bucknell
Head of CDT; Coord, Internal Exam; House Tutor
+61 3 9904 6360
Chris.Bucknell at haileybury.vic.edu.au<mailto:%7bemail%7d>
www.haileybury.vic.edu.au<http://www.haileybury.vic.edu.au>