[Year 12 SofDev] Arrays with mixed data types

timmer at westnet.com.au timmer at westnet.com.au
Fri Jun 12 17:48:13 AEST 2015

	Hello Mark

	From memory arrays in PHP are not true arrays but associative
arrays; that is a set of key:value pairs (what some languages call a
dictionary). From the syntax point of view they look like arrays in
that the key can be an integer, hence a[3]=543, and becuase they are
key:value pairs, the  next item can be a[4] = "text".

	What I'm calling a "true array" only has values stored in memory and
the location of a particular element is calculated via the index, the
calcuation being dependent on the type of element stored in the array,
hence it must be of fixed size, hence of fixed data type. Elements in
so called associative arrays are located by searching the key list.
This means that "indexes" don't have to be contiguous, and don't even
have to be integers. In some ways they are more like Pascal's records.

	Associative arrays get interesting when you move into
multi-dimensions. Elements in true 2D array can be imagined to be in a
rectangular block with the row and column indexes being use to
determine the location of any one element; a[1,2] etc. In some
ways, a 2D associative array are best visualised as a set of arrays
within an array. The first 'index' locates the 'row' (or maybe
'column') of elements (a linear 'array'), and the second 'index'
locates the required element with in the row/column; hence the syntac
often (always?) used: a[1][2].

	Regards

	Robert T-A