[Year 12 SofDev] Arrays with mixed data types

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Jun 12 14:25:58 AEST 2015

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of PHP, but my research suggests
their 'arrays' are not exactly the same nature as most other languages.

It's sort of like when TV guides categorise 'Big Brother' as
'entertainment' ... a non-classical use of the term.

I ask because I'm writing an exam with a question about whether a 2D array
with mixed data types is possible (or wise).

Cheers
Mark

On 12 June 2015 at 14:09, Laurie Savage <08327998 at pvgc.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> If it quacks like an array ...? Could you elaborate on why Python lists
> ain't arrayz?
>
> Laurie
>
> Laurie Savage
> https://sites.google.com/a/pvgc.vic.edu.au/mr-savage/home
>
> On 12 June 2015 at 13:27, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, codemakers.
>>
>> Most languages require all elements of an array to have a single data
>> type, but I have a nagging suspicion that there is an exception or two.
>>
>> e.g. Apparently PHP allows mixed data types in its 'arrays' but I believe
>> PHP 'arrays' are actually more like the lists found in Perl or Python and
>> so are not classical arrays.
>>
>> Is there a language that allows true arrays with mixed data types?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mark
>>
>> --
>>
>> Before Facebook, how many people would take a picture of their dinner on
>> a disposable camera, get the photos developed, then go round to your
>> friends' houses and show them all the photo?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark Kelly
>>
>> http://vceit.com

>> Authority and