[Year 12 SofDev] Bebras Australia Computational Thinking Challenge

Therese Keane tkeane at swin.edu.au
Fri Feb 7 13:14:21 EST 2014

BEBRAS

I would like to invite you and your students to participate in a pilot of Bebras - Australia Computational Thinking Challenge. This contest was created in Lithuania in 2004 and has already spread all around the world. The Lithuanian name Bebras – in English “beaver” – is connected with the hard-working, intelligent, goal seeking and lively animal living around lakes and rivers in Lithuania and other countries. It is an international initiative to promote informatics among school students of all ages. The online challenge asks small, interesting questions that can be answered with no prior knowledge about informatics or computer science but are related to informatics concepts and require thinking about information, computation, data processing and so on.

I have provided a link with more information about Bebras and the link to some sample tasks (https://www.dropbox.com/s/5micf2bbxe3czaq/Bebras_Australia_Pilot.pdf). We are planning to run the pilot (free, school-based, under teacher’s supervision) in March as a preparation for the first official Bebras Australia event in November 2014. If you would like to find out more about how you and your students can get involved please feel free to contact Karsten Schulz (karsten.schulz at nicta.com.au<mailto:karsten.schulz at nicta.com.au>) for more information.

There is no cost associated with this Challenge.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Cheers

Therese

Dr Therese Keane
Lecturer in ICT Skills Development
Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
Room: TD323
Phone: (+613) 9214 8579
Fax: (+613) 9819 0823

Twitter: #SwinEdTech