[Year 12 SofDev] DFD - Processes

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Mar 4 12:08:40 EST 2013

Hi Anthony.  I wish my old school had enough room for a golf course - we
might manage a minigolf game near the canteen  :-)

It might be hard to explain level 1 DFD processes in words. e.g. "Just
include the big tasks. If a task is just a pretty trivial step towards
achieving a bigger task, then just show the bigger task."  If I said that,
some kids would end up with a single process in the DFD labelled "Bigger
task".

I'd use lots of examples to get the idea across.

And make a "don't do this" DFD with trivial subtasks and ask the kids to
fix it. For a discussion they could argue why a process would be moved into
a parent process, or why it should remain as a level 1 process.
Come to think of it, I might do one of those myself as an exercise.

On 3 March 2013 17:23, Anthony Sullivan <asullivan at tps.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  My class this year is having more trouble understanding DFD’s then past
> years****
>
> ** **
>
> In particular they seem to be reading too much into processes –they are
> often breaking down the data flow into far too many processes then I was
> expecting!!!****
>
> ** **
>
> I do understand this is the case of a DFD  once you go through the levels
> (e.g. 2, 3, 4, etc.) but they are doing this on a Level 1 DFD****
>
> ** **
>
> Is there a definition of a process (at level 1) that might be able to help
> me (and them)?****
>
> ***Anthony*  ***Sullivan*
> Head of Information Technology
>
> **
>
> T: 03 9788 7796 | F: 03 9787 7646 | 20 Wooralla Drive, Mt. Eliza, Vic,
> 3930 | asullivan at tps.vic.edu.au | www.tps.vic.edu.au
> <logo snipped>

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com