[Year 12 SofDev] ipads as class sets

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue Feb 26 09:23:45 EST 2013

Hi Heath. Perhaps the eLearning thread would suit this topic.

Because of the iPad's dog-like devotion to its master, McKinnon SC techs
had no success trying to set them up as multi-user devices, but rumour has
it that Apple is planning an OS version that can be set up with multiple
profiles for education and similar multi-user environments. But it is just
a rumour.

But be careful buying iPads with Rudd money... from memory you can buy them
with left-over money, but they don't count towards your 1:1 ratio.

Cheers
Mark

On 25 February 2013 21:20, Matheson, Heath A <
Matheson.Heath.A at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  Good Evening All,****
>
> ** **
>
> Had a look for a better mailing list to post this to but had no luck. Let
> me know if it should be elsewhere.****
>
> ** **
>
> We are looking at purchasing a class set of ipads. Traditionally a single
> user device*, I’m wondering if anyone has any experience in using ipads
> as multi-user devices*? ****
>
> My concerns are mainly around storage and HDD’s filling up with crap from
> all users. I envisage using the filebrowser app to access network files and
> drop box or google drive in the cloud for storage. *Does anyone know if
> there a way to lock down or reduce the available space on the hard drive?*
>
> ** **
>
> Windows Surface should solve all networking and storage issues however
> they won’t have the same level of educational apps as apple for some time
> (or ever?)****
>
> We really try and keep things simple at school as we are given only a day
> a fortnight of technician time.****
>
> Open to all experiences and suggestions!****
>
> ** **
>
> On a side note, with our Digital Revolution Rudd money we opted to
> purchase 3 class sets to be used at school rather than giving out notebooks
> to each student. This increased our computer student ration to beyond  1:1
> (We only have 170 from 7-12). In addition we purchased 6 netbooks that are
> available for any student to borrow and take home as required from the
> library. We also offer BYOD but the class sets mean everyone in your class
> will have same software available. This has worked extremely well so far
> and has avoided parents shelling out for devices on enrolment now the
> funding has dried up which would be a huge issue in our community. ****
>
> ** **
>
> I’ll take no response as “we are venturing into the unknown”.****
>
> ** **