[Year 12 SofDev] DFD question

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Feb 25 10:06:18 EST 2013

Hi all. It's an interesting situation.  This is my take on it.

We all probably start by seeing it from a human point of view: the customer
is dealing with the waiter, who deals with the system. So the customer is
an integral part of the transaction and therefore appear in a DFD or UCD...

But the waiter is not a part of the system: he/she interacts with it as an
external entity (EE).
So where does the customer fit in?  An EE to the EE waiter?  An EE once
removed? We don't do that in DFD or UCD.
>From the system's point of view, the waiter is an EE. The customer is a
fictional character that the system does not see, hear, or believe in. Only
the waiter exists to the system.  Everyone else is Santa Claus.

We could complicate it further and imagine that a child is giving her meal
choice to her mother who gives it to the waiter... should the child be in
the DFD/UCD now as an EE twice removed?
If a waiter were ordering his own lunch from the kitchen, would he be
represented again in the diagram - this time as a customerless EE?

As I read it, the customer is not directly interacting with the system; the
waiter is.  So the waiter appears as an EE.
So I would not include the customer at all in a DFD or UCD.

Anyone out there who did DFD/UCD at uni?

Cheers
Mark

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com