[Year 12 SofDev] Software tools and functions, approved websites, approved languages

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 7 13:57:28 EST 2013

Having implemented PYTHON in place of VB6.NET this year...I am very much more relaxed and impressed with this language.

As a bonus, the kids doing it also have greater ease picking it up...we presently use the portable python version downloaded from its website as the school image doesnt include PTYHON yet...

Also, what about the possibility of inclusion of the WindowsPhone SDK, its adaptable for more than one language and in terms of current graphic interface based development, is fairly easy to use.

Perhaps for the 'top-end' developers, the X-code interface utilizing Objective-C should be considered as an option.

For my 2 cents worth...

Since many developers do actively use graphic based tools for building products on different platforms, I feel that perhaps we, as Software Development teachers should be given the option to incorporate these tools "officially" by the VCAA. They assist visual learners and could re-invigorate numbers in our subject and yet still not degrade the quality of our content as this is just another 'learning tool' used for the purpose.

Perhaps this options should be a consideration for the revised study design/languages/teaching tools option.

Plus..given many of us(my school included) are now either multi-platform or heading that way, why restrict the learning options of our kids when we really dont need to?? Embrace the technology or become a dinosaur!

We are now an iPAD school and about to soon have a full iMAC lab classroom, plus PC based classrooms, plus EWB's, plus AppleTV's attached to LED tellies!

Not spoiled...just trying to keep up to date!

Kent.

Kent Beveridge
ICT Coordinator & Maths Teacher
kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au<mailto:kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au>