[Year 12 SofDev] Software Development: Core Techniques and Principles Edition 2

Janson, Adrian A janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 13 17:49:05 EST 2012

I forgot to add!

Replies to me off list please (at info at adrianjanson.com.au )

Cheers,
Adrian
________________________________
From: sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au [sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au] on behalf of Adrian Janson [janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au]
Sent: Thursday, 13 September 2012 3:52 PM
To: 'Year 12 Software Development Teachers' Mailing List'
Subject: [Year 12 SofDev] Software Development: Core Techniques and Principles Edition 2

Hi everyone (and apologies in advance for what is a long winded email!!)

I thought I would email all of you to bring you up to date with the progress on the new edition of the text and also to get some feedback from you!  I have been working hard on it for some time and some aspects of the work have been frustrating (dealing with the Apple iBooks store and DRM….)

There will in fact be a new edition of the text for 2013 and it is nearly completed.  There are however, a number of ‘modes’ that it can (and will) be made available to you – and that is where I need to gather some feedback from you.

1.       iBook
There will be an iBook version and it will be available very shortly (hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks).  I will very soon publish the ISBN for this so that you can booklist this for your students if you wish to go this way.  The iBook version has the advantage that it incorporates quizzes, galleries and presentations in several chapters.  The price is still to be determined, but it will be cheaper than the print version.

2.       ePub
I will also produce an ePub version.  At the moment, I am tangling with DRM systems – so may be shipping the ePub with the print version (which would not be number 1 preference).  Ideally, the ePub will also be available for purchase (and booklisting) so that students can purchase this – and also at a price cheaper than the print version.

3.       ePub site licence

I have had a number of enquiries from Schools in regards to an ePub site licence.  This could also be an option.

4.       Print version

ISBN available shortly – very similar format to the current edition.  Price available shortly.

There are also lots of ways that School’s / students can obtain the book from me.  I am (once again) very happy to send them to you on consignment for you to distribute to students (collecting payments) and then for me to invoice the School.  Some Schools don’t like this method and prefer the book-sellers.  I can send the text to the book-sellers – but this does add to the expense (at the book-sellers end) and they pass it on to students.  Students can also order the text directly from me – which is quite easy to do via my web-site.

I will also be (once again) selling the VB.Net text in combination with the SD text for those that would like this.  There is a new version of VB.Net just out (2012) – however, I will only be coming out with a new edition of this for the start of 2014 – so this will be available in the combo pack for just $20 for 2013.

So – could I please ask a favour from you?
I have included some questions below – I would appreciate it if I could get some feedback from all of you – as this will help me determine some things!

1.       Your name, school

2.       How many students do you anticipate you will have?

3.       Your preferred format: iBook, ePub, ePub licence, print (or a combination)

4.       Your preferred delivery: consignment, book-seller, student purchase from web-site

5.       Would you be interested in the combo purchase (VB.Net text as well)?

Thanks very much in advance – and more news shortly!

Cheers,
Adrian Janson

Adrian Janson B.Sc, Dip.Ed, M.Ed
eLearning Coordinator
Melbourne High School, Forrest Hill, South Yarra, Victoria 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au<mailto:janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au>
Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au
Blog: http://jansona.edublogs.org