[Year 12 SofDev] App development Sorry for the x-posts!)

Laurie Savage savage.john.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon May 21 16:10:51 EST 2012

I agree that having kids coding java apps at year 10 might be optimistic,
but I'm surprised Apple hasn't developed an easier way round - like App
Inventor.

But, heres my story of woe with MIT's App Inventor for Android. App Inventor
lets the kids build apps for Android phones using a Scratch-style interface
("Blocks Builder") so the Java is hidden while the logic is on display. So I
decided to set my advanced year 9's the job of becoming e-millionaires by
inventing a killer App. The security settings on the Edustar image won't let
them install the software! Back to the drawing board. Ditto for Python: so
much for my lunch-time Coders' Club. Back to Scratch and Gamemaker.

Laurie Savage

ICT Teacher | Student Assessment and Reporting Coordinator  |Pascoe Vale
Girls College

Lake Ave, Pascoe Vale | 03 9306 2544 | savage.john.l at edumail.vic.gov.au