[Year 12 SofDev] U3OC2 query ....trolling for ideas...Kent

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Tue May 1 14:53:50 EST 2012

Hello peoples,
Just doing some thought on what I might do for OC2 being my first attempt at this in such a long time!

My idea is actually quite a simple one which can utilize arrays and data structures etc into it I feel.
Here 'tis...

Basically,
A 'Restuarant or similar business' has a menu based online booking system to be built for use(for this outcome, just the system is to be built with the GUI being simply a form with appropriate 'events' on it).
My idea is to have it looking basically as:
                  BUSINESS NAME
                         BOOKINGS MENU

1. ENTREE                                   (button or d/down box for order- maybe have the contents in a text file)
2. MAIN COURSE                        (button or d/down box for order- maybe have the contents in a text file)
3. DESSERT                                  (button or d/down box for order- maybe have the contents in a text file)
4. DRINKS                                    (button or d/down box for order- maybe have the contents in a text file)

Special needs for order                    Text box or similar

Number in party                              Suitable input option here..
Booking time requested for party      Suitable input option here too!

A button to summarize the order and maybe print or email the order to somewhere perhaps??

Essentially peoples, this is my concept to be built for this outcome based upon say, a choice of for example, 3 entree, 3 Main and maybe 3-4 dessert options.
Drinks will be from a suitable list of Beverages hot / cold.

When finally done, the user making the booking then has a copy of their order, their needs and the booking time to show when they arrive.

This could use arrays nicely storing the data selected by each choice and a list box could contain the user special needs comment perhaps.

This concept can cut down wastage and improve efficiency at the resturant end and hence improve its operational efficiency.

I was thinking to do this as my task for this outcome and then build this into an App or similar for U4OC1 task by taking it that next step to a portable device(phone) with some slight updates/improvements I have in mind.

Sooo, if I could have some feedback on whether this is a good idea or not. I like the concept and feel it can be worded to meet the need of the outcome.
Comments, ideas welcome.

If anyone else is doing a similar concept or has already written one and cares to share, I am happy to exchange ideas. I had thought of developing this whole concept for an online booking system.
VB.NET is my poison of choice!

Kent Beveridge
ICT Co-ordinator, St.Brigids CSC, HORSHAM,Vic,Aus.
kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au