[Year 12 SofDev] Reading and Writing text data files in VB2010

Travis Parker Travis.Parker at beaconhills.vic.edu.au
Thu May 12 09:26:24 EST 2011

Thanks for that Mark. I have been using something similar with my
students, particularly as the SAC I have written includes reading from a
text file (A prototype helpdesk, including type of job, computer,
priority, etc) and creating a new text file with jobs for the techies in
a prioritised order.

One thing I was wondering though, does anyone have anything good on
reading comma separated text files? All the programs I have gotten my
students to create read them a line at a time, but I would ideally like
to see something like this line - tim.cox, hardware, 12, ps40, 2 read
into arrays. So I would have a "Name", "Issue", "Computer_Number",
"Room_Number", "Priority" or something like that. I'm fine with the
arrays, but how would I read it in word at a time (i.e. Between commas"
rather than line at a time?

With many thanks for a first year SD newbie......

Trav