[Year 12 SofDev] Algorithm question

Robert Hind robert at yinnar.com
Wed May 4 15:39:12 EST 2011

Language! Wonderful thing.

We do need to be careful and conscious of the different ways people express themselves.

My favorite example involves days of the week. Eg "I'll meet you at 10am next Saturday." Please note I am writing this on Wednesday 4 May.

Some interpret "next Saturday" as Saturday 7 May, while others understand it to mean "Saturday of next week", ie Saturday 14 May.

So back to the algorithm! In such a question, the wording needs to be unambiguous, eg "in less than 10 seconds" or "in 10 seconds or less".

We all write things from our own perspective and we need others to point out possible misunderstandings - as you have done this time. Thank you.

Hopefully with exams this problem is addressed by the checking by the exam writers themselves, followed by ESL checking and then the use of Sitter/Vetters. But still problems do occur and are then dealt with at the exam marker training sessions that involve many more people.

Second opinion? "Within" means inside and should perhaps be interpreted as <10. Just my opinion :-)

Robert Hind (Semi-retired) OOF, GOM
Ashwood and Traralgon
robert at yinnar.com