[Year 12 SofDev] UCD do have relevance ....

Bell, Kenneth C bell.kenneth.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 10 09:31:04 EST 2011

Hello,

Took my Physics students to Luna Park Physics Day last Thursday.

My I.T students are a subset of the Physics class so I arranged to drop
in at IBM Southbank and meet up with my nephew who is a Project Manager
there.

Not much to see there but he gave a fantastic talk.

He gave a great talk to the students about what IBM does and in
particular what he does.  He stressed that as a software engineer, he
considers himself to be like any other engineer in civil, mechanical,
electrical, chemical, environmental, ...  He uses I.T. technology to
solve problems.

He stressed the importance of establishing networks of people to help
you solve problems... which is what I think this edulist group does
exceptionally well.

I asked him about UML and in particular, Use Case Diagrams.... He said,
it was a standard practice that all IBM projects used. Students enjoyed
hearing this as it gave extra validation to why we are studying it.

Ken Bell

Mortlake College

Phone 03 5599 2204

Fax 03 5599 2503