[Year 12 SofDev] SD key knowledge

malcolm mjarb at iname.com
Wed Mar 9 21:42:01 EST 2011

Hi,
Just adding to the conversation,

The physical layer is just that - the actual cable, whether cat 5 or other.

As you progress up the layers, the data link layer is your protocols for
your network card to get the signals on and off the cable and the next layer
up (the network layer) is where the data gets formed into packets and
addressed - logical address/Mac address.
After that the transport layer is where the data gets chunked for
transmission or reassembled on reception into a data stream.

Most people talk about TCP/IP as if they were  together yet they each
represent a different layer in the OSI model.  TCP being in one layer and IP
in the other.
The only reason I see them as being important is that they flow down from
the above layers to allow the data stream to be broken down into packets,
addressed, etc so they can go out on the cable or visa versa.
 Each layer is as important as the one above or below.  If one layer doesn't
function correctly then the data can be lost or not sent/received/corrupted,
etc.
We can use different tests to test the layers in a network - ping as an
example -  ping a domain name - www.microsoft.com, ping localhost, or ping a
specific ip address on a network to check that different layers  e.g link,
etc  are working correctly.

This link may be of useful reference http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1122

Regards
Malcolm Carson