[Year 12 SofDev] UCD exercise and u3O1 assessment handbook as rubric

Matheson, Heath A Matheson.Heath.A at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 1 10:44:33 EST 2011

Heya Lony and Colleagues,

I think the UCD exercise sheet is great. Practically telling them how to
draw the UCD is what many students need to start learning how to do
these. I keep emphasising that UCD and DFDs are tools that are meant to
make your life easier by illustrating what the system has to do and
giving you a plan to follow. I find students often get stressed trying
to work out where to start and your exercise will certainly help J.

Regarding case study writing, I would suggest not reinventing the wheel.
Past exams are a great source of case studies that you can generally
tweak to suit your needs. Even the old Info Systems exams have some good
case studies if you want to save the SD exams for revision purposes.
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/infotech/infosystems/exams.html

I have attached an assessment rubric based on (well copied from) the
assessment handbook. I began trying to translate it to first person to
make them easier for the students to read but have run short on time
this morning. It is still very generic and I'm trying to decide whether
to be more specific in the rubric about the requirements for a top score
or just include this in the SAC sheet.

Heath Matheson

Mt Beauty Secondary College