[Year 12 SofDev] Ring Networks

Margaret Iaquinto Margaret.Iaquinto at stleonards.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 06:41:53 EST 2010

Anthony

It is always good to talk about the wide variety of topologies out
there. Sorry, I can be of no help wrt the ring topology. Just in case --
the Study Design requires students to understand bus, star and hybrid
topologies. Ring topologies are not examinable. Regardless, your
question is interesting. I hope someone replies to it with a technical
answer.

Textbooks are a great help and I, too, use the Fitzpatrick one as well
as the Janson one. In the end, no matter what sample Outcomes we receive
from our friends on the Lists or what is in the textbook, ultimately we
have to follow the Study Design.

Maggie

Margaret Iaquinto
Information Technology

St Leonard's College
Brighton Campus
t (+61 3) 9909 9300

www.stleonards.vic.edu.au

>>> "Anthony Sullivan"  03/17/10 10:30 PM >>>
Why are ring networks generallymore expensive to install?

We have been having this discussion in class recently. The quote comes
straightout of the Fitzpatrick text (page 35). Many of my students were
taught in Unit1 & 2 that a ring network is cheaper to install than a bus
or star due tothe fact that a server is not required therefore set up
costs are lower.

Can someone shed some light asto why they may be *more expensive to
install*?

Thanks

Anthony Sullivan
Head of Information Technology

Telephone  03 9788 7796
Fax           039787 7646
Email         asullivan at tps.vic.edu.au
Address     Wooralla Drive, Mt. ElizaVic 3930

Disclaimer:
This message, including any attachments, is provided without
responsibility inlaw for its accuracy or otherwise and without
assumption of a duty of care bythe school. Whilst every attempt has been
made to ensure material in thise-mail message is free from computer
viruses or other defects, the attachedfiles are provided, and may only
be used, on the basis that the user assumesresponsibility for the use of
the material transmitted. This e-mail is intendedfor the use of the
named individual or entity and may contain confidential andprivileged
information. Any dissemination, distribution or copying by anyoneother
than the intended recipient of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Ifthis e-mail has been received in error, then please notify The
Peninsula Schoolimmediately and destroy the original message.

 http://www.vitta.org.au   - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
Teachers Association Inc

CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify St Leonard's College immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of St Leonard's College.