[Year 12 SofDev] Presenters / workshops - feedback

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 16 13:20:20 EST 2010

Hi everyone (and apologies for the cross posts - and the rant!),

I wanted to email the lists as VITTA President and make a comment regarding
some of the discuss of the quality of presenters giving workshops.  This was
prompted by a discussion on the IT Apps list - but I won't discuss that
issue directly.

Speaking personally, I can easily recall times that I have attended
presentations and found the presenter to be awful or the content to be
sub-par.  I have also attended presentations that have been awesome and
inspirational - and many that have fallen between these extremes.  The
number of bad presentations I have attended has been few I am glad to say -
and has often been the result of poor preparation, a blatant sales pitch
with no content or lack of interest.

An observation I would make about these presentations and their quality is
that there is no accurate predictor for who will be a good presenter - and
it is certainly dangerous to make generalisations based on any sort of
stereotype or pre-conception.  For example, I would not dismiss a presenter
based on their school, gender, status in the educational community or role.
If a presenter does have a number of credentials, I feel it is important to
recognise that this person has earned them - and that they know something
about the topic they are delivering - and that they probably have a great
deal to offer you in sharing what they know.

If you think that I am a horrible presenter and I have nothing to offer you
- fine - so be it - but please make that judgement based on what you have
personally experienced and not a gut reaction to my credentials.

I think that presenters put themselves 'out there' and I certainly don't
want any of you to be discouraged to present in any way.  It's all about
sharing our ideas with each other - and VITTA / this community thrives on
sharing and collaboration.

I am sorry for the rant - but I felt that this needed to be said.  I am very
happy to take comments off list or if you are insulted by my statements -
feel free to email / call me - more than happy to discuss.

Cheers,.

Adrian

Adrian Janson

VITTA President