[Year 12 SofDev] App My State competition now open

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Mon Mar 1 10:28:58 EST 2010

----- Forwarded by David Thomas/MMV/DSD on 01/03/2010 09:45 AM -----

Hi all,

App My State is officially open! Check out the media release below,
competition website, data.vic.gov.auand follow us on Twitter @appmystate
for details.

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/app-my-state.html

http://www.data.vic.gov.au

http://twitter.com/appmystate

Cheers

Luella

Media release From the Premier of Victoria

Friday, 26 February, 2010

APP MY STATE COMPETITION KICKS OFF WITH $100,000 IN PRIZES

Premier John Brumby today launched the world’s biggest apps competition
App My State and encouraged entries from Victoria’s IT experts and
novices alike.

Mr Brumby said the App My State competition would encourage Victorians
to create new and innovative ways to use government information and
provide services to help other Victorians.

“The contest is open to all Victorian residents and offers a share in
the $100,000 in prizes for individuals or teams to build the best new
applications for Victorians,” Mr Brumby said.

“Today we are also releasing over 90 Victorian Government datasets to
encourage new applications to be created.”

Mr Brumby said the datasets can be found at www.data.vic.gov.au from
today.

Information and Communication Technology Minister John Lenders said the
competition would encourage talented Victorians to combine their
innovative ideas with their ICT skills to create useful solutions to
life’s little problems.

“The grand prize winner will receive $35,000 in cash prizes – the
largest prize pool awarded in this type of competition in the world. The
judges will also award a second place prize of $15,000 and a third place
of $10,000,” Mr Lenders said.

“Those under 26 are also eligible to win $15,000 in prizes, with the top
prize awarded $5,000 in cash and a $5,000 hi-tech pack featuring a Cisco
Flip Video camcorder, Apple MacBook Pro, PlayStation 3, Apple iPhone
16GB and the second prize awarded a hi-tech pack.

“All entries will also be eligible for a $10,000 Popular Choice prize,
which rewards the most popular applications as voted on by the Victorian
public.”

Mr Lenders said additional prizes would also be awarded to entrants who
simply came up with innovative ideas for new applications.

“The competition is not limited to those with tech skills – we also have
a category for the best ideas, with prizes worth up to $1,000 to be
won,” Mr Lenders said.

“We have recruited some of Victoria’s leading innovators to judge the
competition - Peter Williams - web 2.0 guru and Director at Deloitte
Digital, Marc Edwards from iPhone application developer Bjango, Kate
Kendall from Niche Media and Georgia Webster from RRR’s Byte into IT –
and I am a judge too.”

Mr Lenders said the judges would be looking for unique applications that
pay particular attention to innovation, design and development,
usefulness, accessibility and general excellence.

Minister for Innovation, Environment and Climate Change Gavin Jennings
called on Victorians to get behind the competition.

“We are also offering a special $10,000 sustainability category for apps
that look at ways to encourage Victorians to be more environmental
sustainability in the home, business or community,” Mr Jennings said.

Entries close at noon on Friday 23 April 2010. To read the full rules of
the competition and to App My State
visitwww.premier.vic.gov.au/premier/app-my-state.html

Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development,

Government of Victoria, Victoria, Australia.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
distribute reproduce this e-mail or the attachments. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us by return e-mail.

Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au
ph +61 3 9326 9985 - mob +61 418 310 414
open source - facilitation - web services