[Year 12 SofDev] Approved programming languages for 2011

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jul 5 11:07:28 EST 2010

Hello Kevork and others

I'm not sure what you mean by:
> I wonder if the inclusion of records has caused the expectation that
> record
> design is done in a table ?
The relevant dot point is about the construction and use of records, not
their design. And design of a record could be set out in a table but does
not have to be. Afterall, so called design tools are just graphic organisers
and have nothing to do with actual implementation, so I am not sure where
the expectation would come from???
Also I know that we Access users are guilty of blurring defintions, but,
from a strict terminological perspective, records have to do with files, not
tables (files/records/fields; tables/rows/columns;
relations/tuples/attributes!)

And sorry to be picky, but...
> Also, a queue or stack is effectively an array ( or vector ) of records
I think its important to distinguish between the conceptual view of a data
structure and its implementation in a given programming environment.
Conceptually, queues, stacks and arrays are quite different from one
another - they are not all arrays of records. The first two could be
implemented using arrays and indexes, but do not not have to be; for
example, they could be implemented as linked lists using pointers and memory
allocation functions. And conceivably, if a language did not offer the array
as a basic construct, one could also implement an array as a linked list (at
which point one should ditch the language!)

One thought that comes to mind after all this cogitation is that, in the
context of:
> . construct and use data structures, for example multi-dimensional
> arrays, records, queues and stacks
I suspect that 'record' is not intended to be 'record in a file' (although
it could be), but the more generic idea that C calls a 'struct', VB.NET now
calls a 'structure', Pascal calls a 'record' and Java sees as a methodless
class. That is, a data structure that is made up of one or more basic
elements such as integers and/or strings, and lives in memory at run time -
it might in fact be the memory data structure that recieves its data from a
record on disk. Given the context of the statement where arrays, queues and
stacks are all 'program data structures' I think this idea fits. The problem
is that, unlike arrays, queues and stacks, when we see the term 'record' we
tend to think of it in terms of files on disks, not structures in memory.

I think the point is that the new study design is asking us to be much more
focussed on how our program sees the data (in memory), rather than how it
sees, for example, a database on disk.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC