[Year 12 SofDev] VB6.0 in the approved languages list

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 7 17:12:16 EST 2010

Hello all

interesting debate this about what and how much to teach of: VB6 v VB.NET v OO in general.

Some bits and pieces I have come across in the last couple of weeks:

VB appears to be losing favour http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

and the graph the provided seems to suggest a real trend (click VisualBasic or http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/paperinfo/tpci/%28Visual%29_Basic.html)

and the reason maybe that MS made too big a change in going from VB6 to VB.NET
see 'criticism' at http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/paperinfo/tpci/%28Visual%29_Basic.html

And the other point that interests me is the continued very high position of C (a non-OO) which may be partly explained by legacy issues, but may also be explained by OO apparently not meeting with favour by the whole programming world:
see 'criticism' at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming
and the links make intersting reading.

Regards
Robert T-A