[Year 12 SofDev] programming languages advice for 2011

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 15:03:17 EST 2010

It qualifies as "Basic (object-oriented variations only, e.g.
VB.NET<http://vb.net/>
)"

On 5 August 2010 14:39, Leanne Wright <leannejwright at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Does this mean that Visual Basic 6 is no longer acceptable. Leanne Wright
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:11:04 +1000
> From: iaquinto at ozemail.com.au
> To: sofdev at edulists.com.au
> Subject: [Year 12 SofDev] programming languages advice for 2011
>
> Folks
>
> To reply to several messages I have just received privately, this advice is
> from the VCAA website. Kindly note that Paula posted it here but many of you
> may have been on holiday when it came out.
>
> Some languages have been removed from the list. One exciting addition is
> Objective-C which is for apps on the iPhone. Additionally, there is advice
> about database programming. This has been removed from the 2011 study
> design. All languages must be Object-Oriented.
>
> Perhaps Adrian or someone from VITTA will post some news about 'Gearing up
> for SD in 2011' to inform us of the changes to the Study Design.
>
> Kevork recently posted info about the use of C# with respect to Study
> Design 2011. Several teachers attended that workshop.
>
> Maggie
> --
> Approved programming languages for the accredited study in 2011 Students
> will use one programming language from the accompanying list, to develop
> purpose-designed solutions. In the development of solutions, students should
> be able to:
>
>    - develop a graphical user interface (GUI), for use in mobile computing
>    devices, such as laptops, personal digital assistants, gaming consoles,
>    mobile phones
>    - construct and use data structures, for example multi-dimensional
>    arrays, records, queues and stacks
>    - design, construct and use files (not databases) to store and retrieve
>    data
>    - design and apply data validation techniques
>    - use program control structures: selection, iteration and sequencing.
>
> The purpose-designed solutions will entail the use of objects, methods and
> their properties, and event-driven programming.
> List of approved languages Basic (object-oriented variations only, e.g.
> VB.NET)
> C++
> C#
> Objective-C
> Pascal (object-oriented variations only, e.g. Delphi)
> Java
> Perl
> PHP
> Python
> Ruby
> With all of the above languages, databases are *not* to be used to support
> the construction of solutions. Students should be able to demonstrate the
> highest level of achievement using only the selected programming language.
> Additional languages can be used to embellish a solution, for example
> JavaScript with web pages; however, these would be supplementary to the main
> language and not replace it.
> [...]

Manager - Information Systems; Reporting Manager
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Author - VCE IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.