[Year 12 SofDev] Python Resources For Senior Classes

Jack Matthews jack_m_matthews at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:48:13 EST 2009

Thanks guys

I will check these resources out.

-Jack Matthews

::setschoolsfree.com

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:20:35 +1100
From: john at weedon.id.au
To: sofdev at edulists.com.au
Subject: [Year 12 SofDev] Python Resources For Senior Classes

Hello Jack,

There are a few good textbooks suitable for senior secondary students.

I started with Michael Dawson's 'Python Programming for the absolute
beginner'. It's a good intro. to basic programming but doesn't teach
'problem solving' as well as John Zelle's text 'Python Programming: An
introduction to Computer Science'. The title of Zelle's book may sound
too heavy for 16 & 17 year old but Zelle's introduces the whole
process of problem solving and Python syntax in a series of easy to
read worked example. He uses multiple choice question, True/False
questions, practical discussion issues and then well graded problems
for coding related straight back to the textbook at the end of each
chapter. The text comes with a CD with all worked examples.

I've looked closely at the Nutshell text but found Zelle's book much
better.

The Python Challenge run by Sydney Uni. is well worth involving your
students. James Curran is the bloke in charge. The teaching resources
provided by the uni. are very good and it's free. You get a certificate
for the students if you pay the $11 registration fee per student. If
the student pay the fee they feel a much higher commitment to the
5-week challenge. It's graded for students of differing abilities.
Sydney uni. run a mid-year teacher inservice course (4-days) for
introductory and advanced teachers which is very good value.

You can get Zelle's book ISBN 1-887902-99-6 much cheaper on amazon.com
than buying through local suppliers.

Hope this helps.

John Weedon

Maitland Christian School

Jack Matthews wrote:

  Hi

I have been teaching PHP but have decided to teach Python next year as
I think it is a better programming language for beginners.

Does anyone have some good Python resources they could send me.  Things
like Small programming tasks, assignments, tutorials, websites, Moodle
courses etc.

I ordered Python in a Nutshell and will start reading soon (I thought
nutshell meant small but....no).

Would be a big help.

-Jack Matthews

:: www.setschoolsfree.com

  Let ninemsn property help. Need a new place to rent, share or buy?_______________________________________________

http://www.edulists.com.au

http://www.vitta.org.au/vce/studies/infotech/softwaredevel3-4.html
- Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and

Teachers Association Inc

 http://www.vitta.org.au/vce/studies/infotech/softwaredevel3-4.html - Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and

 http://www.vitta.org.au   - VITTA Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association Inc