[Year 12 SofDev] DFD question

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 18 12:59:31 EST 2008

Hi Robert.  I agree that processes might be useful data, but I'd
maintain they don't belong in a data dictionary any more than my useful
cheese sandwich should be stored in my fish tank.

Robert Mercer wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Yep sorry page 73 near the bottom. I guess I will assume it is an error or at least a convention not used by the VCAA. Although that being said I am not sure what the advantage of leaving processes out of a Data Dictionary is, seems to contain some possibly useful data.

> Did you mean page 73, or am I using the wrong book?
>
> It's interesting how they explicitly include processes in a data
> dictionary (page 72) - I never have.
>
> I see a data dictionary as a pure and simple table of field names, field
> types, lengths, validation rules perhaps.  Not processes, however:
> that's more for an N-S chart, for example.
>
> Interesting though... might do a bit of digging around in the 'real' IT
> world and see what the conventions are there.
>
> Then again, I really don't like their version of IPO charts on p74.  I
> like IPO to be pure "data / processing / information produced" e.g.
>
> INPUT = Date of birth, Today's date
> PROCESSING = (Today-DOB)/365.25
> OUTPUT = Age
>
> I really dislike using IPO charts as a uselessly vague version of a
> flowchart e.g. (from page 74)
>
> INPUT = Personal details
> PROCESSING = Check details
> OUTPUT = Checked details
>
> How pointless is that?
>
> yuk.
>

> Robert Mercer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking at the data dictionary on page 25 of the Thomson SD text book and there appears to be process listed "Add New Member". I was of the understanding processes do not get listed in data dictionaries as is indicated by the 2007 exam Section C Question 2 c. Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rob Mercer
>> ICT Outreach - Project Officer
>> Faculty of Information & Communication Technologies
>> Swinburne University of Technology
>> PO Box 218
>> Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
>>
>> PH:  +61 3 9214 8768
>> FAX :+61 3 9819 0823
>> rmercer at swin.edu.au
>>

>> -----
>> Swinburne University of Technology
>> CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.