[Year 12 SofDev] What is considered to be a module?

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue May 6 08:45:02 EST 2008

As has been mentioned already, a module is a self-contained logical unit
of code (which can contain its own subprograms and functions) that
carries out a specific function in a larger program.

For example, in a database you might have a module which is solely
responsible for encoding and decoding passwords.

Another module might be responsible for producing output.

Another might be for validating existing data.

They are a bit like the various organs of your body - each has a
specific role but they interact to carry out the body's organisational
goals.

Dunno if that helps or hinders...  :-)

Mark

andrew wenn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first time ever teaching VCE Software Development.
>
> The IT study design asks that the software development 3 students
> develop a software module as part of Outcome 2 but is strangely silent
> on what a module is.
>
> The text Dawson and Janson is not helpful here either.
>
> If I use the example assessment task from the study design that involves
> the quotes for painting. Then from my point of view I see this as being
> broken into an number of modules, two of which may be a module to gather
> customer details and another to do the actual costing. But as a
> programming task these seem to be rather small. Am I on the wrong track
> here?
>
> Any clarification/suggestions gratefully received.
>

> Dr Andrew Wenn
> Head of IT
> Gippsland Grammar
> Sale, Victoria

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.
If you Declare War - is it integer or boolean?