[Year 12 SofDev] SD U4O1 - ideas?

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Tue Jun 12 22:25:57 EST 2007

Hi colleagues in SofDev,

   Having stressed with these types of issues in past years I do feel for
all those who are trying to get on top of this now. Please do not stress and
demand help.
Let's work through this together to support all those in need. Here are some
of my thoughts for those unsure which way to jump.

   If I didn't do PHP/MySQL I would probably consider the following in
trying to meet " a networked information system objective"  ( the core
problem with the SAC wording with SAC41 )

1. Write a normal approved language program, covering the data structures
and difficulty level required and run it from a shared drive with the
proviso that to run it the user must be log on with his/her normal
username/password credentials for normal school network access on another
server. We do this with Moodle. Rather than set up new users, Moodle users
can be accepted if they have an account on another school server . LDAP is
the protocol used and this allows the moodle server to authenticate a user
against a Novell Netware or Win 2003 or Linux server running LDAP where the
user has an account and password. We do this whenever possible to try to run
an "integrated information system" rather than create yet another user
database.

2. Write a VB program that retrieves all users/account holders in a
particular group on a server that runs LDAP ( eg. Win 2003 ) .  Maybe even
test further for all "dodgy" accounts - those who have the same password as
their username !! See http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/LDAP_Using_VBnet.asp

3. An online faults/jobs registration site/page or a VB form running from a
shared drive , that requires users to log on. A simple form that when
submitted saves to a text file ( or spreadsheet or database file ), requires
network authentication eg. the page loads if the user is a member of the
student group of users on the server. Again can use LDAP or even a hidden
file on the shared drive.

4. An online student bulletin again submitted via a form on the web or
through a form in VB. Same concept as in the previous example.

5. An online anonymous bullying reporting form. As above

6. I have set up a half a dozen exercises in VB.NET I submitted 2 years ago
on the edulists site that shows a fairly quick way to put together a form in
VB , save to a database behind it and to browse the records. See
www.edulists.com.au on the sofdev link and in the retired IT Systems web
accessible from there.

A quick search on Google for VB.NET and ldap has thrown up a large number of
useful hits.

Best wishes

Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator