[Year 12 SofDev] SD U4O1 - ideas?

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Jun 12 15:06:43 EST 2007

Looking ahead to U4O1 - a program to be used on a network.  I am
wondering what sort of tasks you guys and gals are considering for your
tasks.

My kids are going to freak if they're expected to create something like
the task in the 'Advice for teachers' in the study design (p.82) -
programming databases in VB is not for the feint of heart (and frankly,
the sample task is a bit redundant when real RDBMS can run over networks
anyway...)

Tossing a few semi-useful ideas around, I considered:

- a program to send a file to a bunch of network directories (e.g. "send
test.doc to FRE001, GEM002, TAS005")

- a centralised memo facility that people can go to and leave notes for
each other

- a simple networked resource booking sheet

- a simple tool to log technical problems that need fixing

- a utility to recursively search multiple directories for certain types
of banned files (a bit tricky, perhaps)

- a utility for dumb users which can automatically clean up network home
directories by tossing files of given types into subfolders (e.g. all
.jpg files in the root of the drive get tossed to the 'pictures'
subdirectory)

- a simple encryption program to protect sensitive text data stored in a
network drive.  (Maybe using a simple substitution or transposition
algorithm) - or maybe a VB emulation of a 16-rotor Enigma machine?)

- a 'random joke of the day' dispenser

- a reverse-engineered version of Windows 2003 Server, crafted in VB.

Others?

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.