[Year 12 SofDev] Pondering SD U3O2

gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au gordonp at horsham-college.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 15 10:56:00 EST 2007

David,
i know what you mean - there are plenty of students who struggle to get beyond the 'fill in the gaps' phase when grappling with programming. Teaching syntax to kids who don't get spelling is never dull...

What games do I do?
I've been setting up templates that are partially functional, or have comments hinting at what is required. Some of these are old favourites such as: dice guessing game, number memory games , screensavers with config screens, reaction tester games.  These lead onto : gambling on car races, versions of squash the rat, wordguess games, hangman, and simple shooters. There are also non-game apps such as ATM simulator, air-con simulator, backup app, mp3 database/jukebox etc. SOme of the stronger kids will do a bit of simple encryption and chat (and both combined which the administrators hate!).

I try really hard not to spoonfeed too much - and don't always succeed.

Given the new SD, there is plenty of scope to give PHP a a big go in unit 2 which may lead to changes in my year 12 course - who knows??

gordon