[Opensource] Getting rid of Windows on your R61 Lenovo

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Tue Oct 13 08:40:27 EST 2009

Hi all,

> This old laptop technician wonders how the tech support people in your
> organisations cope with teachers ... changing the
> software in your laptops? Do you expect them to support the new improved
> OS and software or do you look after it yourselves?

Being quite the devil's advocate, there would be an argument to say that
the basic OS in a school environment would be as simple as you can get,
and what the user actually uses is a virtual machine.  If they stuff that
up, give them a new image file 'back to normal'.

> well in our open network, though mapping drives on the Novell network is
> non-trivial. We could not use it on desktop machines here (although I keep
> trying the new releases just in case).

Even on a windows domain, I have experienced trouble (admittedly on
Knoppix rather than Ubuntu).  When I was teaching (year 9) students about
operating systems, we got into command line stuff, and the mapping was
more reliable from the commandline tools (as long as you typed in the
correct syntax).  It met my two objectives (a) know how to use a
commandline tool and (b) access network resources from a non-windows
operating system

--
Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler