[Opensource] virtualbox etc

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Mon Oct 12 15:44:57 EST 2009

Hi all,

Just a followup to Brett's post

> I also installed a program called virtualbox. This is a very nifty piece
> of software (IT teachers take note if you want to build disposable
> servers with your students, much easier than VMware for a pseudo IT
> teacher like me) that allows you to install a 'virtual' copy of Windows.

I'd played around with virtualbox-like product called qemu a while back,
and have recently got into it again.  Happily have a linux server running
'inside' my WinXP box.  Would be very good for a 'disposable server'.

My own kids were also disappointed recently when their machine (running
win95!) was replaced with a more modern creature - their favourite game
wouldn't run (who else remembers 'gizmos and gadgets'?)  Enter qemu - a
'virtual copy' of win95 is running under XP.  Not many times you'd want to
do that, admittedly, but it solved the problem of the disgruntled game
players.  Not all that easy to set up (the win95 install), but once done,
works like a charm.

If you want any details, please email.

Cheers,

--
Dr Paul Chandler
Research Fellow

located at Australian Children's Television Foundation
145 Smith Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, 3065
e-mail: paul.chandler at une.edu.au
Ph: 0400 198 187
Fax: (03) 9419 0660
Skype: paul.d.chandler