[Opensource] Repairng windows on a dual boot machine

Pia Waugh pia at waughpartners.com.au
Thu Mar 12 20:40:24 EST 2009

Hi all,

<quote who="Phil Brown">

> > A little help, I have a machine that I has two hardrives in it. One with
> > Ubuntu the other runs XP. The XP install is suffering random reboots and
> > so I want to run a repair on it. However when I try to repair the
> > installation it want's to write to the ubuntu drive which is the
> > primary. Due to the fact that the primary drive is Linux and secondary
> > is windows it does not allow me to repair the install.
> > Any hints or tips on how to fix it as I really don't want to replace the
> > Linux drive.
> >
> > My only thought so far is to remove the Linux hard drive from the
> > machine reinstall windows on the other drive and rebuild grub.

Remove the Linux disk temporarily and you should be able to run the repair
from within Windows just fine. Then put the linux disk back in and to repair
grub simple boot with a linux boot disk (like the Ubuntu disk) and then you
can run "grub-install /dev/sda" or whatever the first disk is. See this for
more details:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub_002dinstall.html

That should work ok :) I had to do this for a client recently who had a
broken Windows disk and a working Linux disk.

Cheers,
Pia

--

Waugh Partners

  m. +61 400 966 453
  p. +61 2 9318 0284
  f. +61 2 9318 2884
  w. http://waughpartners.com.au/

Open Source: Strategic Consulting, Industry Development, Research & Analysis