[Opensource] Ubuntu Netbook remix on Edupass

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Sat Jun 6 09:54:41 EST 2009

Roland Gesthuizen wrote:
> Curious if anybody else has tried this remix. The interface if very
> intuitive and I have to agree with Jeff, it is one of the best things to
> come out of Canonical. :-)

I installed the UI components of it on my wife's netbook and was so
impressed I have been using it as the interface on my 13" notebook for a
month and love it. I also use globalmenu and some other hacks to get
more space. Now I just need a machine with an ARM CPU for all day usage
and a week standby :-)

The only things missing for me running nearly everything fullscreen was
the dumping ground that was my Desktop and drag and drop between apps.

I have found losing my desktop has been an organisational bonus. I keep
a muli-tabbed nautilus open with access to various server folders,
client folders, dropbox etc and seem to be more organised.

Not a big drag and drop user but I quickly found that you can still drag
and drop between windows. Grab by the top left had corner so you can see
the pointers location and hover over the icon in window picker and it
will change windows. Also with tabbed browsing in nautilus, drag
hovering over tabs works and folder arrows in list view.

I didn't like the maximus process that maximised the windows so I
patched the metacity window manager to do the same thing. It is more
responsive and reliable. Still needs a couple of tweaks but is working
very nicely.

Vic edu wifi sounds great. A usually don't like whole of government
projects because they are usually out of date by the time they are
(often poorly) implemented. Not to mention vendors pushing their own
agendas. But that might just be my bias from living in SA.  Great when
one works out. Lucky Vics.